Copyright Georgia Clark 2010
Five things every girl must do alone!
While we totally love hanging with our fam, buds and BF, the importance of self-reliance cannot be overstated. It’ll make you powerful like Angelina Jolie and plus, if you’re down for hanging on your own, you’ll never get bored! Here’s five superfun things every modern girl should rock on her very own….
* Spend A Day At The Beach Mmm, a long, luxurious day at the beach on your own is just what the doctor ordered! There’s nothing more relaxing that slopping on some SPF 30, finding a spot in the shade, and kicking back – isn’t it time to reread Twilight? Yeah, think so! Being close to the water is a great way to let go of any tension and take stock of where you’re at. Don’t forget plenty of healthy snacks, water and your Ray Bans (especially helpful for surreptitiously perving on hot guys!)
* Going To The Movies. There’s something so deliciously indulgent about catching a blockbuster on your own, and the benefits are many. You can see whatever you want, whenever you want – if you want to catch something outrageously girly/ hardcore/ silly at 10am on a Saturday, no one can stop you! No one can make fun of you when you cry in the sad bits and no one can judge you for getting that second cherry choc-top. ‘Nuff said.
* Rocking Up To A Party. Arriving with nothing but a killer smile and a desire to meet new peeps spells capital C Confidence! It can be intimidating not to arrive with your forcefield of girls, but being able to mix ‘n’ mingle till you stumble across your crew will help develop social skills that’ll help you land everything from your dream job to RPattz (well, someone as hot as him anyway!). Bonus points for hitting a party where you don’t know anyone at all (um, as long you’re invited).
* Volunteer Your Time. Stock up on karma brownie points by volunteering your time for a worthy cause. There are so many awesome charities you can get involved in! Passionate about the environment? Find a bush regeneration group or local community garden to join! Love working with people? Spend time at your local nursing home. Whatever your interest, there’s a great organization out there who’d love to have you onboard. Remember, what goes around, comes around!
* Troubleshoot A Problem. There’s nothing more satisfying and oh-so-mature than solving a problem on your own. It could be anything from a parental dilemma to putting together something way complicated from IKEA – you can do it! Next time you’re faced with a dilemma, quell the urge to ask for help, take a deep breath and start working it out yourself. You’ll be amazed how often you don’t actually need anyone to help you. Being able to sort of complex life stuff on your own gets the thumbs up from us.