We show you how to take the reigns and make New Year’s Eve work for you!
GF presents NYE 101 if you’re…
1. Heading to see the fireworks.
If you live anywhere near a city or big town, the powers that be will be putting on pretty explosions in the sky for you! Wheeeee! This night will be one for the history books, but it also takes a fair bit of planning. Stake out your crew’s territory well in advance. If that means rocking up at 3pm, be sure to pack a picnic blanket and heaps of sunscreen, water, tasty treats, and back issues of GF! Once night descends, so will the crowds. Tell your friends to have plenty of credit and fully charged phones, and (more importantly) fully charged cameras! Facebook albums were pretty much invented for nights like New Years.
What to wear: If getting to the fireworks involves pounding plenty of pavement, do yourself a massive favour and leave the high heels at home. Aim for comfy, colourful and too-cute, like a cool oversized T and boyfriend denim cutoffs, or a floaty summer dress and flats.
2. Hitting a house party.
There are always plenty of hot house parties celebrating the New Year – what better way to see in the New Year than a pumping party at someone’s sweet pad? House parties are a great way to relax and party with your crew, plus meet tonnes of new people! Be the social butterfly you wanna be and touch base with new peeps – remember, compliments are a great way to break the ice! Make sure that your friend who’s throwing the bash is doing it with smart style – nothing will kill your NYE buzz faster than ending up at Gatecrash 2010, and seeing in the New Year with 100 drunk jocks. Make sure to negotiate a later-than-usual curfew with your ‘rents, and have enough money for a cab home.
What to wear: NYE is a major look-at-me night, so be brave and wear that hot pink number that usually hides in your closet.
3. Having the girls over to yours. If a million party people ain’t your bag, invite the girls over to your place for a lovely, lo-fi NYE in. It’s fun to pick a theme, like ‘Sugar Overload and Scary Movies’, and get everyone to bring something sweet or spooky! (We’re nuts for the Scream trilogy and Mars Bar Slice). Try kris-kringle NYE resolution, where everyone puts a NYE resolution in a hat and picks one at random!
What to wear: As you’re not leaving the house, you can be as casual or as wild as you like – ugg boots or cocktail dresses? Your call!
How to… Get him kissing you at midnight.
- Facebook stalk him to confirm he’s single and ready to mingle.
- Get on his radar when you arrive. Float by and say ‘hi’ with a flirty smile
- Have a few small interactions leading up to midnight – enough that he knows you’re cute and interested
- Start hanging with him around 11.30pm
- When midnight strikes, make sure you’re right there to plant a kiss on!
Be smart, be safe:
- Don’t accept drinks from strangers.
- If you haven’t seen one of your friends in a while, check in with them to make sure they’re okay.
- If someone’s drunk, get them water and organize to get them home.
- If someone is OD-ing, call 000 immediately. Don’t wait for someone else to do it.
Copyright Georgia Clark 2010